Sunday, January 18, 2009
A Good Man Is Hard to Find
I have previously researched this story after listening to a song by Sufjan Stevens by the same name, so I already had a couple ideas on what the story was about before actually reading it. Although after reading I found a lot of other symbols that further validate and specify my original understanding of the story. From what I gathered, the Misfit is an Old Testament angel who was cast out of God's love after Jesus healed the world with his compassion. After Jesus saved us from sin angels of destruction, such as the Misfit, were no longer necessary under God's regime and were no longer needed for their original purpose, symbolized by the Misfit's psychopathic lifestyle having him being locked up in jail. the grandmother is the kind of woman that an angel of destruction would naturally have killed in the old testament for her selfishness and narrowmindedness. At the end of the story the Misfit mentions how the grandmother would have been a good woman if she didn't need a gun pointed at her every moment of her life; she was only unselfish when she had something to lose.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment